Username: Password:   
  Reformed Theology Institute
  RTI, founded July 2008, is a venue for Reformed theology, education, training, and discussion.
Index  FAQ  Search  Memberlist  Usergroups  Profile Scroll to Bottom  RTI Portal New Posts Since Last Visit
Recent Posts    
    Join! (free)   

Username:
   Password:
   Log me on automatically each visit

Welcome

IP Address: 23.20.147.6

Useful Resources

RTI Main Menu
Home Page
Forums
How-To FAQs
Membership Central
Photo/Doc Gallery
Private Messages
Smilies
Bible Encyclopedia
Bible Tool

RTI Announcements
Crowdfunding for RTI Web Site Server Administrators
TNARS Degree Study Discussion Forums Closed
Help RTI Grow
Hotmail Email Domain No Longer Supported for Members
Adopt a Smiley $$ Campaign
Welcome New Members!
RTI Standards of Conduct
Before You Post: Review The SoF and Rules of Conduct
RTI Statement of Faith
About RTI

RTI Latest Topics
Toghrul - Hello from Turkey!

RTI Popular Topics
How to refute Landmark Baptists?
Preferences On NA28 or UBS 5th editions
Should we base theology on end of Mark's Gospel?
Greek Grammar In Light of Historical Research
2 Peter 3:9 and word "all"
The New Jerusalem and Righteousness
What book is good for those new to the faith?
NKJV Bible search
Indwelling versus Infilling of the Holy Spirit
What is difference perservation of saints/eternal security?

Jump to:  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reformed Theology Institute Forum Index » Biblical Languages » Preferences On NA28 or UBS 5th editions Page 1, 2  Next

DrWhofan1

RTI Guru

postcomment
postcomment
Rep Level: 4
Rep Points: 25
Rep Hits: 7

Rep This Post

PostPosted: 11-12-2016 7:45 am
Post Number: 25654

As my latest ones of each are the 26th and 3rd editions...

Would it be worth it to get the latest ones or not?

Use mainly Ubs Greek text for researching the texts , as really not into using the apparatus per say, as textualriticism not really taught/trained in. other than at intro levels...

Reformed Baptist

Leading Member

postcomment
postcomment
Rep Points: 35
Rep Hits: 8

Rep This Post

PostPosted: 11-12-2016 8:14 am
Post Number: 25656

DrWhofan1 wrote:

Use mainly Ubs Greek text for researching the texts , as really not into using the apparatus per say, as textualriticism not really taught/trained in. other than at intro levels...

That all depends what you are using them for, the UBS produce their text with a specific audience in mind and the same can be said from the NA text. As for getting an updated version of either, for what purpose do you need them rather then the existing ones you have? The differences are very minor, and if your not into Textual criticism then there is no need to spend the money in my opinion - stick with what you have!

Ask Mr. Religion

Admin

postcomment
postcomment
Rep Level: 5
Rep Points: 211
Rep Hits: 44

Rep This Post

PostPosted: 11-12-2016 8:29 am
Post Number: 25658

Dwf1,

I agree with RB here. There is really no need to get the latest NA or UBS versions unless you are adept at textual analysis and need the very latest for scholarly efforts.

Do You Confess?
Faculty PRBS
My Randomata Blog

View user's profile Send private message Find all posts by user Visit poster's website

DrWhofan1

RTI Guru

postcomment
postcomment

Rep This Post

PostPosted: 11-12-2016 8:41 am
Post Number: 25659

Reformed Baptist wrote:
DrWhofan1 wrote:

That all depends what you are using them for, the UBS produce their text with a specific audience in mind and the same can be said from the NA text. As for getting an updated version of either, for what purpose do you need them rather then the existing ones you have? The differences are very minor, and if your not into Textual criticism then there is no need to spend the money in my opinion - stick with what you have!

Thanks, as I will then keep using the UBS 3rd edition for studying out from...

I am someone who justs finds myself buying newest editions/revisions, but really need to buy that only when real change happened...

What Greek text/tools do you use when preparing the message then?

Reformed Baptist

Leading Member

postcomment
postcomment

Rep This Post

PostPosted: 11-12-2016 2:59 pm
Post Number: 25661

DrWhofan1 wrote:
Reformed Baptist wrote:
DrWhofan1 wrote:

Thanks, as I will then keep using the UBS 3rd edition for studying out from...

I am someone who justs finds myself buying newest editions/revisions, but really need to buy that only when real change happened...

What Greek text/tools do you use when preparing the message then?

That is not an easy question to answer as I use a number of texts and appartus as needed. I own an NA28 but only in hard copy so I don't refer to it that much, bearing in mind I preach from the NKJV I actually refer a lot to hodge/ farstead and Scrivener's TR as well.

In regards to latest edition, yes is a problem I face too - but the reality is latest edition rarely offer anything you need and they are usually just a way of maintaining a bhelathy profit margin for the company - what does the latest addition of logos really offer me that makes it worth dropping hundreds of pounds for?

DrWhofan1

RTI Guru

postcomment
postcomment

Rep This Post

PostPosted: 11-14-2016 7:39 am
Post Number: 25668

True, as I usually just upgrade to new base core engine when it comes out...

Which do you prefer betwen the Majority text, and the 1894 text more for use?

And you use Logos bible software then mainly?

Reformed Baptist

Leading Member

postcomment
postcomment

Rep This Post

PostPosted: 11-14-2016 1:07 pm
Post Number: 25669

DrWhofan1 wrote:
True, as I usually just upgrade to new base core engine when it comes out...

No point with Logos 7 as the functionality will be the same as 6 unless you purchase the new datasets.

Quote:
Which do you prefer betwen the Majority text, and the 1894 text more for use?

I don't know what you mean?

Quote:
And you use Logos bible software then mainly?

For some things, I also have bibleworks, and a lot of books.

DrWhofan1

RTI Guru

postcomment
postcomment

Rep This Post

PostPosted: 11-15-2016 12:21 pm
Post Number: 25675

[Do you yse the BileWorks mainly for researcing original texts than for the message?

Reformed Baptist

Leading Member

postcomment
postcomment

Rep This Post

PostPosted: 11-16-2016 11:46 am
Post Number: 25677

DrWhofan1 wrote:
[Do you yse the BileWorks mainly for researcing original texts than for the message?

It isn't an either/ or thing, but to be clear i don't have the original texts, I have manuscripts and texts that are faithful to the originals and nothing more which i use as I need - sometime in message prepr sometimes to write posts online etc.

DrWhofan1

RTI Guru

postcomment
postcomment

Rep This Post

PostPosted: 11-17-2016 7:40 am
Post Number: 25680

[So you would use the Englishversions themselves to base your sermon messages on?

Reformed Baptist

Leading Member

postcomment
postcomment

Rep This Post

PostPosted: 11-18-2016 2:15 am
Post Number: 25699

DrWhofan1 wrote:
[So you would use the Englishversions themselves to base your sermon messages on?

Well, let me see...

(1) I preach in English
(2) I preach to an English congregation
(3) I have a faithful translation of the bible in English
(4) I need my congregation to be able to read for themselves the truths I preach in the Bible

So yes, of course, I use an English Bible in my preaching and I preach from an English text - I would be an utter fool to do otherwise. I have asked you before to demonstrate a single doctrine, or a single text of Scripture, that I cannot faithfully exegete from an English translation and none has been forthcoming so on what grounds can you be so shocked?

Let me be very clear on this point, the preachers job is not just to proclaim the truth but to equip his congregation to read the bible for themselves and the preacher who stands in the pulpit constantly saying 'in the Greek it says....' is closing the bible to the church and implying that they can't understand it without his help!

The Greek and hebrew Exegesis stays in the study and I preach in English.

However, you seem to have skipped the point - the is a huge difference between asserting that one uses the texts of the bible in their original languages and one uses the originals. The later is to state that we have access to the autographs themselves (which we do not).

DrWhofan1

RTI Guru

postcomment
postcomment

Rep This Post

PostPosted: 11-18-2016 7:50 am
Post Number: 25704

I think most would use the English versions for most oftheir research and studies, but there are good Greek/Hebrew study tools also avalable, as my pastor has 2 earned Phd, and he does much of hisstudies in different English versions, but also see gets further insights, nuggets he calls them, fromuse of Lexicons, dictionaries, etc!

He would not advocate doing all work from those tools, but doesuse them tolook into some of the "knotty passages" in the Bible!

Who do most Seminaries require hebrew/Greek be learnt and used then?

Ask Mr. Religion

Admin

postcomment
postcomment

Rep This Post

PostPosted: 11-18-2016 8:59 am
Post Number: 25709

DrWhofan1 wrote:

Who do most Seminaries require hebrew/Greek be learnt and used then?

The man called to the ministry should have some facility with the original languages from which our translations spring forth, else he is at the mercy of the "priesthood" of bible translators. Our Lord reminded us that every jot (jod, yodr, iota) and tittle (keraia) remains, so I feel it is my duty as one called to know as much as my abilities can allow about the original languages used by God in His special revelation. Apparently, denominations that sponsored various seminaries would agree that this skill is required for those seeking to serve in these denominations. Wink

But to key off of what RB noted, when a cook prepares a meal, he does not bring out all the pots and pans to the table where the meal is served. Similarly, the minister's wrestling with the sermon text using all the tools and training he has obtained before delivery on Sunday is not something the congregant in the pew needs to be subjected to.

Do You Confess?
Faculty PRBS
My Randomata Blog

View user's profile Send private message Find all posts by user Visit poster's website

DrWhofan1

RTI Guru

postcomment
postcomment

Rep This Post

PostPosted: 11-18-2016 12:29 pm
Post Number: 25716

I must have misunderstood him then, as I thought that he meant that he just used the English versions and tools for preparing his messages.

RB really was saying that he uses the various tools. but that he keeps his remarks to just what is found in the English version itself?

My pastor does at times quote the Hebrew/Greek word and states them aloud, and usually just gives the definition for them as used in the passage under study.

Ask Mr. Religion

Admin

postcomment
postcomment

Rep This Post

PostPosted: 11-18-2016 12:53 pm
Post Number: 25722

DrWhofan1 wrote:
RB really was saying that he uses the various tools. but that he keeps his remarks to just what is found in the English version itself?

Yes, RB was stating that the work done cooking in the kitchen (sermon prep) with special pots and pans (lexicons, grammars, commentaries, etc.) should normally stay in the kitchen, not be brought out when the meal (the sermon) is delivered. Hence, RB noted "The Greek and Hebrew Exegesis stays in the study and I preach in English."

No one disputes the occasional reference to the underlying ancient language of Scripture, when it is very appropriate, but these should be quite rare, most appropriate when one is exhorting from the pulpit on passages claimed to be controversial. On these occasions I simply made passing remarks noting this or that side's opinions and why I am going to treat the passage being exposited accordingly. The key here, is for the minister to not be exhibiting mist in the pulpit, as this always leads to fog in the pews. Wink

Do You Confess?
Faculty PRBS
My Randomata Blog

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reformed Theology Institute Forum Index » Biblical Languages Page 1, 2  Next