Username: Password:   
  Reformed Theology Institute
  RTI, founded July 2008, is a venue for Reformed theology, education, training, and discussion.
Index  FAQ  Search  Memberlist  Usergroups  Profile Scroll to Bottom  RTI Portal New Posts Since Last Visit
Recent Posts    
    Join! (free)   

Username:
   Password:
   Log me on automatically each visit

Welcome

IP Address: 54.146.11.8

Useful Resources

RTI Main Menu
Home Page
Forums
How-To FAQs
Membership Central
Photo/Doc Gallery
Private Messages
Smilies
Bible Encyclopedia
Bible Tool

RTI Announcements
Crowdfunding for RTI Web Site Server Administrators
TNARS Degree Study Discussion Forums Closed
Help RTI Grow
Hotmail Email Domain No Longer Supported for Members
Adopt a Smiley $$ Campaign
Welcome New Members!
RTI Standards of Conduct
Before You Post: Review The SoF and Rules of Conduct
RTI Statement of Faith
About RTI

RTI Latest Topics
RTI RTOW: Blessings Hidden in Providence Yet Revealed
RTI RTOW: Who has had the greatest impact on my life?
Prayers for my Husband
Prayers for DJ

RTI Popular Topics
How to refute Landmark Baptists?
Preferences On NA28 or UBS 5th editions
Should we base theology on end of Mark's Gospel?
Greek Grammar In Light of Historical Research
The New Jerusalem and Righteousness
2 Peter 3:9 and word "all"
Indwelling versus Infilling of the Holy Spirit
What book is good for those new to the faith?
What is difference perservation of saints/eternal security?
Puritan Reformed Ministries in India

Jump to:  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reformed Theology Institute Forum Index » New Testament » Should we base theology on end of Mark's Gospel? Page 1, 2  Next

DrWhofan1

RTI Guru

postcomment
postcomment
Rep Level: 4
Rep Points: 25
Rep Hits: 7

Rep This Post

PostPosted: 11-17-2016 7:55 am
Post Number: 25683

How should we base our theology on end of Mark's Gospel?

As those groups such as Pentecostals take the end of the Gospel to prove miracles and tongues , but my feeling would be that since it is disputed as actually being part of the original text, why base their claims on the disputed ending?

Moderator Note:
Dwf1,

Note that I have modified your post. First, I corrected the grammar of the title. Second, I added to the actual post to properly show what you are asking about. Please do not create a new topic with a Title and then in the post continue the sentence that the title began. In other words, your actual post should contain the essence of your title. This is important when others may quote your opening post and not understand the actual question you are asking.

Ask Mr. Religion

Admin

postcomment
postcomment
Rep Level: 5
Rep Points: 211
Rep Hits: 44

Rep This Post

PostPosted: 11-17-2016 9:03 am
Post Number: 25686

Anyone creating dogma around a single verse or two is already in troubled waters. The whole counsel of Scripture should be consulted. For example, as to the Pentecostal's claims, one would think 1 Corinthians would be consulted, along with Ephesians 2:20.

For the record, I am not going to entertain any debate about whether the gift of tongues continues beyond the close of the canon.

Do You Confess?
Faculty PRBS
My Randomata Blog

View user's profile Send private message Find all posts by user Visit poster's website

DrWhofan1

RTI Guru

postcomment
postcomment

Rep This Post

PostPosted: 11-17-2016 1:22 pm
Post Number: 25690

Ask Mr. Religion wrote:
Anyone creating dogma around a single verse or two is already in troubled waters. The whole counsel of Scripture should be consulted. For example, as to the Pentecostal's claims, one would think 1 Corinthians would be consulted, along with Ephesians 2:20.

For the record, I am not going to entertain any debate about whether the gift of tongues continues beyond the close of the canon.

I was not planning to go there either, but was just curious as to what would be the results for doctrines/practices IF the Gospel of Mark was originally the shorter ending?

Ask Mr. Religion

Admin

postcomment
postcomment
Rep Points: 211
Rep Hits: 44

Rep This Post

PostPosted: 11-17-2016 1:54 pm
Post Number: 25693

DrWhofan1 wrote:
Ask Mr. Religion wrote:

I was not planning to go there either, but was just curious as to what would be the results for doctrines/practices IF the Gospel of Mark was originally the shorter ending?

I do not speculate or play "what if" where Scripture has spoken. Wink

Do You Confess?
Faculty PRBS
My Randomata Blog

View user's profile Send private message Find all posts by user Visit poster's website

Reformed Baptist

Leading Member

postcomment
postcomment
Rep Points: 35
Rep Hits: 8

Rep This Post

PostPosted: 11-18-2016 2:00 am
Post Number: 25696

DrWhofan1 wrote:
Ask Mr. Religion wrote:

What do you see taught in the ending of Mark's gospel that is not found elsewhere in Scripture?

DrWhofan1

RTI Guru

postcomment
postcomment

Rep This Post

PostPosted: 11-18-2016 8:00 am
Post Number: 25706

Drinking pioson, bit by snakes, speaking in tongues...

That is why it looks to me likea scribe filled it in looking at events in Acts/life of paul...

Just suggestingthat we should not build a whole theology on just that disputed passage, as so many Charasmatics seem to do!

Reformed Baptist

Leading Member

postcomment
postcomment
Rep Points: 35
Rep Hits: 8

Rep This Post

PostPosted: 11-18-2016 10:07 am
Post Number: 25712

DrWhofan1 wrote:
Drinking pioson, bit by snakes, speaking in tongues...

Remember I asked for things only found in the long ending of Mark, you mentioned:

1) drinking poison - yet that is also covered in Luke 10:19
2) bit by snakes - yet that is also mentioned in Luke 10:19
3) speaking in tongues - yet this mentioned in Acts 2, 10, 19 and then extensively in 1 Cor 12-14

So the question remains, can you name a single 'doctrine' (either rightly or wrongly understood) that finds it's only support in the long ending of Mark?

Quote:
That is why it looks to me likea scribe filled it in looking at events in Acts/life of paul...

And your evidence for this is what? Where do we read that Paul drank poison?

Have you weighed up the textual evidence to come to your conclusion, or is this just another assumption that you have accepted as fact without doing the proper legwork?  

Quote:
Just suggestingthat we should not build a whole theology on just that disputed passage, as so many Charasmatics seem to do!

Yet you can't even identify a single doctrine (let alone a whole theology) that relies only upon this passage in the gospel of Mark.

Now, the questions you have to ask yourself are:

1) What is the evidence for and against the long ending of Mark?
2) Do I need to even go to the long Ending of Mark to properly understand the teachings that some charismatics find there
3) Does my own hermeneutic allow we to consistently refute their assertions (remember your a literalists - so you have to talk the plain and most obvious/ literalistic sense of the words on every occasion - anything else is inconsistent)

joebonni

Sustaining Member

postcomment
postcomment
Rep Points: 10
Rep Hits: 2

Rep This Post

PostPosted: 01-11-2017 5:18 pm
Post Number: 25850

I see what you are saying the ending of Mark Chapter 16 Verses 9 on Most Reformed Covenant Pastors I have heard preach this will not preach it they stop before the long ending.  These same pastors will explain why they don't preach it mostly because they feel it was added later and not part of the gospel.

DrWhofan1

RTI Guru

postcomment
postcomment

Rep This Post

PostPosted: 01-12-2017 7:50 am
Post Number: 25851

joebonni wrote:
I see what you are saying the ending of Mark Chapter 16 Verses 9 on Most Reformed Covenant Pastors I have heard preach this will not preach it they stop before the long ending.  These same pastors will explain why they don't preach it mostly because they feel it was added later and not part of the gospel.

That is why some have felt that in order to smooth out the abrupt ending in the shorter version, some scribe had looked at llife of Paul and added in those miracles and events of his life to it!

Hitch

Leading Member

postcomment
postcomment
Rep Points: 29
Rep Hits: 6

Rep This Post

PostPosted: 01-12-2017 10:05 am
Post Number: 25852

joebonni wrote:

Doesnt that notion  brings the entire  NT  under suspicion ?

Gord

RTI Guru

postcomment
postcomment
Rep Level: 3
Rep Points: 40
Rep Hits: 12

Rep This Post

PostPosted: 01-12-2017 12:49 pm
Post Number: 25853

Dwf1 have a listen to John MacArthur's sermon regarding the ending of Mark's gospel.  This was the finishing touch or last sermon to his 43 plus years of preaching through the New Testament one verse at a time.  It is aptly titled and very very enlightening.

This should be a must listen to, of every student of bible study.  Be prepared to be amazed.

The Fitting End to Mark's Gospel

David

Invested Member

postcomment
postcomment
Rep Points: 10
Rep Hits: 2

Rep This Post

PostPosted: 01-13-2017 1:07 am
Post Number: 25854

Gord wrote:
Dwf1 have a listen to John MacArthur's sermon regarding the ending of Mark's gospel.  This was the finishing touch or last sermon to his 43 plus years of preaching through the New Testament one verse at a time.  It is aptly titled and very very enlightening.

This should be a must listen to, of every student of bible study.  Be prepared to be amazed.

The Fitting End to Mark's Gospel

Or you could read

http://av1611.com/kjbp/charts/themagicmarker.html

Reading through that document regarding Mark, it seems to delete every reference to judgement.

DrWhofan1

RTI Guru

postcomment
postcomment

Rep This Post

PostPosted: 01-13-2017 6:37 am
Post Number: 25855

Hitch wrote:
joebonni wrote:

Not really, for the maindoctrines of the Faith would not be effected, and we want to get to what theoriginal book had as conclusion....

Hitch

Leading Member

postcomment
postcomment
Rep Points: 29
Rep Hits: 6

Rep This Post

PostPosted: 01-13-2017 9:37 am
Post Number: 25856

DrWhofan1 wrote:
Hitch wrote:
joebonni wrote:

Not really, for the maindoctrines of the Faith would not be effected, and we want to get to what theoriginal book had as conclusion....
Im not aware of the Reformed doctrine that teaches 'some Scripture' is reliable.

DrWhofan1

RTI Guru

postcomment
postcomment

Rep This Post

PostPosted: 01-14-2017 8:24 am
Post Number: 25859

Hitch wrote:
DrWhofan1 wrote:
Hitch wrote:
joebonni wrote:

Im not aware of the Reformed doctrine that teaches 'some Scripture' is reliable.

ALL Scripture is indeed reliable, but the question is wasthe longer ending actually part of the original Scripture?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reformed Theology Institute Forum Index » New Testament Page 1, 2  Next